Celebrations, including those that are cultural and religious, are important activities for mental and social wellbeing. Celebrations and gatherings provide a way to feel connected to our family, friends and community during COVID-19. Events and gatherings have the potential to increase the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
Over the past week, Grey-Bruce has seen a significant increase in COVID-19 cases. At this time of year, we call on all residents to do everything they can to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
There are many things that we can all do to help prevent the transmission and spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Perhaps the most important thing to remember this Holiday season is to STAY HOME IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS, have symptomatic individuals at home, are a contact of a confirmed case, or if you are directed to stay home by public health.
In addition, the following precautions should be followed to reduce the likelihood of COVID-19 transmission this Holiday Season:
· Limit the number and size of your Celebrations
– Consider celebrating only with those within your household at this time.
- DO NOT GO TO anywhere but home, including PARTIES, CARPOOL, or other social events – STAY HOME!
· Get tested at an Assessment Centre if you have symptoms.
· Get your full series of the COVID-19 vaccine. COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective and the best way to help protect yourself, your loved ones and your community from the spread of COVID-19.
· Screen before work and school and follow the instructions carefully.
– COVID-19 worker and employee screening (ontario.ca)
– COVID-19 school screening (ontario.ca)
- Stay two metres apart from people you don’t live with
- Wear a mask or face covering properly in indoor public spaces and outside any time physical distancing is not possible — you may be fined if you don’t
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover your cough and sneeze and cough into your sleeve
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Get tested if you have symptoms compatible with COVID-19, or if you’ve been advised of exposure by public health or through the COVID Alert mobile app;
· Download the COVID Alert app;
· Work from home or remotely as much as possible;
· Follow international travel guidelines
“I thank and commend all who have maintained the diligent effort to contain the spread of this virus,” says Dr. Ian Arra, Medical Officer of Health for Grey Bruce. “The last present anyone of us wants to give our families and friends is a COVID-19 infection; safe holidays is what our families and communities deserve.”
For detailed information on Holiday Guidance regarding COVID-19, please visit: