On December 18, 2020 at 10:30 a.m., Grey Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called for a suspicious person driving a (white) Pick-up truck on Saugeen First Nation.
OPP officers were assisted by Cancom Security in locating the driver and truck at Indian Agency Road.
The driver was observed by officers with signs of impairment from drug. They were arrested and transported to Grey Bruce OPP detachment in Wiarton for testing by a Drug Recognition Expert.
During a search of the arrested person and the involved vehicle, OPP officers located drugs and drug paraphernalia.
Grey Bruce OPP have charged a 34-year-old male from Port Elgin, with the following offences:
- Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs, section 320.14(1)(a) Criminal Code of Canada (CC)
- Failure to comply with undertaking, section 145(4)(a) CC
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking-Opioid (other than heroin), section 5(2) Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA)
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – Methamphetamine, section 5(2) CDSA
- Possession of a Schedule II substance for the purpose of trafficking, section 5(2) CDSA
The accused was remanded into custody following a bail hearing in Ontario Court of Justice on December 19, 2020.
The Grey Bruce OPP is committedto public safety and work with our community partners and have an ongoing dialogue with Cancom Security and the community leaders, to best protect the people of Saugeen First Nation.
Anyone with information that can assist Grey Bruce OPP with this investigation, call 1-888-310-1122. Should you wish to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or submit a secure web-tip at www.cstip.ca, where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.