On January 10, 2020 at 6:06 p.m. Grey Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were dispatched to a pair of lost hikers near McCurdy Drive in Northern Bruce Peninsula.
The hikers had downloaded the mobile application What3Words and officers were able to locate the hikers a short time later. There were no injuries.
What3Words helps people in need when a caller cannot describe or does not know where they are located. Through its global mapping system, the app labels every three squared metres with a unique three word location string that can be converted into latitude and longitude coordinates, making it easy for the police to locate people in distress and the app can save valuable time and save lives!
On January 8, 2020 at 5:47 a.m. Grey Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were dispatched to a theft of a motor vehicle from a residence on Main Street East in the Town of Dundalk, in the Township of Southgate.
The suspect was later involved in a gas theft from a local gas station. The suspect later abandoned this vehicle and stole another motor vehicle from a residence in Markdale. The vehicle eventually got stuck in the snow on a no winter maintenance roadway and officers arrested the driver without further incident.
As a result of this investigation, Grey Bruce OPP have charged a 30 year-old from Wellington North, ON with the following offences:
- Theft of a motor vehicle, section 333.1 Criminal Code of Canada (CCC)
- Theft under $5,000., section 334(b) CCC
- Possession of property obtained by crime – over $5,000., section 355(a) CCC
- Operation of a motor vehicle while prohibited, section 320.18(1)(a) CCC
- Failure to comply with Undertaking, section 145(4)(a) CCC
- Failure to comply with Release Order, section 145(5)(a) CCC
The accused has a bail hearing in the Ontario Court of Justice in Owen Sound on January 11, 2021.