Further to the memo earlier this week, there are a number of new, additional closures due to a large number of short notice sick leaves, resulting in a significant shortage of both RNs and RPNs. SBGHC will be closing the Chesley and Walkerton emergency departments (EDs) overnight as follows:
The Chesley ED will be closed:
- 1700 on Friday, August 26th (tonight) to 0700 on Saturday, August 27th (new)
- 1700 on Saturday, August 27th to 0700 on Sunday, August 28th (previously announced)
- 1700 on Sunday, August 28th to 0700 on Monday, August 29th (new)
- 1700 on Monday, August 29th to 0700 on Tuesday, August 30th (previously announced)
The Walkerton ED will be closed:
- 2000 on Monday, August 29th to 0700 on Tuesday, August 30th (new)
All efforts to find staffing for the Emergency Department have been undertaken without success. “I want to extend my appreciation to all staff who have stepped up to fill shifts, and I also want to thank members of the clinical management team who again have taken on front line responsibilities this weekend to ensure services can be maintained as much as possible,” said Madison Curry, Executive Assistant. “We are in the process of notifying the public and key stakeholders.”
Ambulance by-pass will undertaken to divert patients to the nearest open ED.
There is a very high probability of additional closures over the coming days due to a large number of additional sick calls received today.
Anyone requiring immediate medical attention should call 911 to be taken to the nearest Emergency Department. For non-urgent health care needs, Health Connect Ontario is available 24/7 for non-emergency health-related questions by calling 811.
The closest Emergency Departments to the respective sites are: