Remember summer camp? Singing songs, making crafts… launching a two-metre-long rocket into the air??
When the Nuclear Innovation Institute’s Science Squad is involved, day camps and drop-in summer programs start to look a bit different. NII Explore’s Science in the Summer programming is popping up around the region, with instructors visiting day camps, libraries, outdoor markets and other locations around Bruce, Grey and Huron counties.
Sponsored by Bruce Power and Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO), the program brings hands-on learning to students of all ages, with topics like the science of space, engineering, motion, energy and much more.
So far this season, the Science Squad has visited summer camps in the Municipality of Brockton, Ripley and Lucknow, as well as the Port Elgin Beach Market and the Reopening Walkerton celebration.
- Bruce County Public Library branches: August 5 (Southampton); August 10 (Teeswater); August 11 (Lucknow, Ripley); August 12 (Cargill); August 13 (Lion’s Head, Tobermory)
- Bruce County Museum: August 5
- Kincardine Prominade: August 7
- Marine Heritage Market, Southampton: July 30, August 6, August 20
- Port Elgin Beach Market: July 28, August 4, August 18
- Provincial parks: August 9 (MacGregor Point); August 16 (Inverhuron); August 19 (Sauble Falls)
- Teeswater Toonie Tuesdays Swims: August 3, 10, 17
All Covid-19 protocols are being followed and participants should wear a mask.
“After a school year with some major disruptions, we’re taking our science experiments on the road to boost students’ science learning in a fun and exciting way,” said Phillip Craig, Director of NII Explore. “Our thanks go out to our sponsors for making Science in the Summer possible for students across the region.”
NII Explore is a program dedicated to delivering enhanced educational opportunities for school-aged children to learn, experiment, discover and create. NII Explore’s educational programming offers a range of learning styles that connects students to the best teaching and knowledge available.
About the Nuclear Innovation Institute
The Nuclear Innovation Institute (NII) seeks to accelerate the pace of innovation in Canada’s energy industry and is a champion for opportunities that help students embrace new knowledge and gain the tools they will need to make positive change in their communities and the world.