Community Foundation Grey Bruce is proud to have partnered with Community Foundations of Canada and the Government of Canada to deliver the Government of Canada’s Emergency Community Support Fund (ECSF) in Grey and Bruce County. Community Foundation Grey Bruce collaborated with United Way Grey Bruce on the adjudication of applications from our region.
Bruce Grey Owen Sound MP Alex Ruff states “COVID-19 has introduced new obstacles and challenges we have never faced before. The Emergency Community Support Fund will improve the capacity for these charities to continue to provide much needed resources and support to many residents of Bruce–Grey–Owen Sound. Thank you to all the organizations and charities in the riding that provide vital services and assistance, your contributions do not go unnoticed.”
Launched on May 19, 2020, the ECSF has invested $192,770 through the Community Foundation towards local charities and qualified donees supporting populations experiencing heightened vulnerability during this crisis.
Stuart Reid, Executive Director of Community Foundation Grey Bruce, notes: “Through the ECSF, our foundation was able to support many projects related to seniors, youth, and our community’s food security. We are proud to be part of the 191 community foundations across Canada that work collaboratively to make our network of communities resilient and to make sure no one is left behind.”
Food security has been a concern during the pandemic and the ECSF has assisted with providing meals to people in need. Colleen Trask Seaman, the Executive Director at OSHaRE, says “Since the beginning of the pandemic in March, OSHaRE has served over 32,000 meals to individuals and families in our community. This is a 300% increase in our daily meals served from before COVID 19. We are so thankful for the Emergency Community Support Grant from the Community Foundation Grey Bruce. This money will help to ensure that we can continue to meet the increased need for healthy meals in our community. Thank you, Community Foundation, for helping us to share at OSHaRE!”
The Foundation is pleased to announce the following list of organizations that received support from the ECSF:
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Kincardine & District to keep kids active and engaged during the summer, especially with games and sporting equipment
- Bruce Grey Child, Youth and Family Services to create Camp COVID, a safe online camp experience for child and youth who live in vulnerable families
- Chippewas of Nawash Food Bank to continue to provide community members with access to a sustainable food source without travel outside the community
- Easter Seals Ontario to provide an online camp experience for 22 children and youth from Grey and Bruce with physical disabilities
- Golden Town Outreach to offset the increased staffing costs for the Food Bank
- Owen Sound Hunger and Relief Effort (OSHARE) to provide lunch, dinner, and a personal connection for anyone who needs it from our community
- Residential Hospice of Grey Bruce to develop, implement, and facilitate virtual versions of volunteer recruitment/training as well as grief/bereavement programs and supports for families and residents; and a second grant to provide the necessary equipment needed to outfit the hospice home to continue to operate safely during COVID-19
- South East Grey Community Health Centre to provide intake, co-ordination, and brokering for our most vulnerable community members who are experiencing increased food insecurity
- Sheatre to inform seniors and the community about elder abuse prevention through informative and entertaining podcasts that include information about abuse and resources for assistance and prevention
- The Salvation Army Wiarton to staff the Food Bank and connect with program participants that are isolated during COVID-19.
Applications for the Emergency Community Support Fund are no longer being accepted as Community Foundation Grey Bruce was able to grant the full funding allotted to our community.
For updates on future funding opportunities visit www.communityfoundationgreybruce.com.