This month, The Women’s Centre Grey Bruce will be mobilizing the Grey Bruce community in recognition of Woman Abuse Prevention Month, as part of the 8th Annual Wrapped in Courage campaign.
In previous years, the community has purchased purple scarves to show support to the many brave women who face and have fled violence. This year, in light of the pandemic, we are selling face masks instead of the traditional scarves.
Grey Bruce residents can support the Wrapped in Courage campaign and the work of The Women’s Centre by:
· Purchasing a face mask by emailing email@example.com.
· Donating $5-25 by texting COURAGE to 41010. Donations will be shared equally across participating women’s shelter. · Using our new Facebook frame to create awareness and show your commitment to ending violence against women and your support of #WrappedInCourage.
· Attending the ‘Zonta Says No to Violence Against Women’ flag raising at 9 a.m. on November 25 at Owen Sound City Hall. Please be sure to wear your face masks to this social-distanced event.
The Ontario Association of Interval & Transition Houses states that in 2019, an Ontario woman or child was killed every 11 days by a man known to them and that one in three women will experience intimate partner violence in their lifetime. We know the courage of a woman alone is not enough and that it takes the strength of an entire community to end violence against women.
Women and children in Grey Bruce need your support. Visit us on Facebook to learn more about Woman Abuse Prevention Month and #WrappedInCourage.
As always, The Women’s Centre is here for women and children who are experiencing abuse and violence.
· 2-1-1 is a 24/7 multilingual helpline to find services in your community
· 9-1-1 is for all emergency situations
· 226-974-0755 a text support line for women in crisis