Once again, Chapman’s Ice Cream, a Canadian family owned-and-operated company located in Markdale is stepping up to help others.
They announced that they are donating $50,000 to the ‘Stand with Ukraine’ effort through the Canada-Ukraine Foundation with the hope that others will do the same.
The Ukraine Humanitarian Relief Committee has been “… established jointly by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress and the Canada Ukraine Foundation to formalize a coordinated approach in providing humanitarian assistance quickly and efficiently to those in need in Ukraine to address any further aggression by Russia. The main efforts of cooperation are to provide humanitarian assistance/relief in the areas of Assistance to displaced persons, Medical care, Emergency Shelter and Food security.”
As of Sunday, February 27th, the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal has raised over $3 million with widespread support from all parts of Canada, from friends of Ukraine from all sectors, including:
- The provinces of Alberta ($1,000,000), Saskatchewan ($100,000), Manitoba ($150,000), Ontario ($300,000) and Nova Scotia ($50,000)
- Family foundations and major donors led by the Temerty Family Foundation ($750,000)
- Major Credit Unions across Canada, led by Ukrainian Credit Union ($100,000) and many other members of the Canadian Credit Union Association
- Canadian businesses led by Chapman’s Ice Cream ($50,000) and many others
- And thousands of Canadians from coast to coast
According to national news reports, some 900,000 Ukraine’s have been forced to flee their homes and seek refuge in surrounding countries, the largest exodus since World War II.